Dr. Gul Ahmad, is Associate Professor of Biology at Peru State College. He is a parasitologist by training with special interest in immunology, biochemistry and molecular & cell biology of parasitic diseases with emphasis on the control of parasites of medical and veterinary importance. He has more than 25 years of research and teaching experience in some of the top academic Institutions of Old and New World. Dr. Ahmad completed his BS, MS, M. Phil. and PhD. from A. M. University, India. Upon completion of his doctoral degree in 1999, he was awarded the prestigious post doctoral fellowship by the Italy based International Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology to work at their New Delhi Component on the molecular biology and protein chemistry of Plasmodium species. Dr. Ahmad worked in this United Nations sponsored Organizations until he was hired by School of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia in June 2004. At Georgia Institute of Technology Dr. Ahmad was using his biochemistry and molecular biology skills to develop photonic and phononic materials in addition to the use of phage display technology in the development of peptide based nano-particles. In May 2007, Dr. Ahmad was recruited by the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock Texas as a Research Assistant Professor. In 2011 Dr. Ahmad was awarded the unsung hero award by the Dean School of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock Texas, for his contribution in the development of schistosomiasis vaccine. Dr. Ahmad has published over 45 peer-reviewed, high impact journal articles and book chapters which are cited more than 1500 times with an h- index of 19.
Present Research Interest: Development of vaccines and other prevention methods for the control of parasitic diseases. My approach is to combine the emerging field of nanotechnology with that of molecular biology and immunology in order to confront the problem of parasitic diseases. My lab is also interested in documentation of zoonotic helminth parasites. Students interested in this kind of applied research are welcome to discuss the possible research project to start with.
- Siddiqui AA, Ahmad, G and Zhang W Schistosomiasis vaccine compositions and methods of use US Patent 9,248,169
- Siddiqui AA, Ahmad, G and Zhang W Schistosomiasis vaccine compositions and methods of use. WO Patent 2,011,005,593
- Zhang W, Ahmad G. ,Torben W , Le L , Eunjee Kim , Redman W , Samra Lazarus , Siddiqui AJ , Molehin AJ, Juan Rojo, Siddiqui AA. (2017) Schistosoma mansoni antigen Sm-p80: Prophylactic efficacy using TLR4 agonist vaccine adjuvant glucopyranosyl lipid A-Alum in murine and nonhuman primate models. International Journal of Molecular Sciences Manuscript ID:ijms-221405(under review).
- Torben W, Molehin AJ, Blair RV, Kenway C, Shiro F, Roslyn D, Chala B, Gutu D, Kebede MA, Ahmad G., Zhang W, Aye P, Mohan M, Lackner A and Siddiqui AA (2017). Insights into self-curing phenomenon of schistosome infection in rhesus macaques. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences (under review).
- Whitni K.R., Bryant J.E. and Ahmad, G. (2016) Gastrointestinal helminths of coyotes (Canis latrans) from Southeast Nebraska and Shenandoah area of Iowa. Veterinary World 9(9):970-975
- Siafullah, M.K, Ahmad, G. Abidi, S.M.A. and Khaton S. (2016) Biochemical changes in the rumen infecting paramphistome, Gartothylax crumenifer during miracidial and intramolluscan developmental stages. SM Tropical Medicine Journal 1(1) 1002
- Griffith, Q., Liang Y.M., Whitworth, P., Russo; Carlos Rodriguez, Ahmad, G., Siddiqui AA; Connor, J., Mwinzi, P., Ganley-Leal, Lisa, (2015). Immuno-evasive tactics by schistosomes identifies an effective allergy preventative. Experimental Parasitology153:139-150 PMID:25819297
- Karmakar, S, Zhang, W., Ahmad, G., Torben w., Alam, M.U., Le, L., Damian, R.T., Wolf, R.F., White, G.L., Carey, D.W., Carter, D., Reed, S.G., and Siddiqui, A.A. (2014). Therapeutic vaccine: Killing of established adult schistosome parasites in chronically infected baboons following vaccination with Sm-p80 vaccine. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 209(12):1929-1940 PMID: 24436452.
- Karmakar, S, Zhang, W., Ahmad, G., Alam, M.U., Winn, R, Torben, W., Le, L., Tillery, K.A., and Siddiqui, A.A. (2014).Complement plays a minimal role in Sm-p80-mediated protection against Schistosoma mansoni Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics Volume 10 (3) 640-647.PMID:24374377
- Zhang W., Ahmad, G., Le L., Rojo JU., Karmakar, S. Tillery KA., Torben W., Damian RT., Wolf RF., White GL., Carey DW., Carter D., Reed, SG., & Siddiqui AA. (2014). Longevity of Sm-p80-specific antibody responses following vaccination with Sm-p80 vaccine in mice and baboons, and transplacental transfer of Sm-p80-specific antibodies in a baboon. Parasitology Research 113(6):2239-50 PMID :24728521
- Le L., Zhang, W., Karmakar, S, Ahmad, G., Torben, W., and Siddiqui, A.A. (2014). Simultaneous priming with DNA encoding Sm-p80 and boosting with Sm-p80 protein confers protection against challenge infection with Schistosoma mansoni in mice. Parasitology Research. 113, (3): 1195-1200 PMID:24452916
- Karmakar, S, Zhang, W., Ahmad, G., Torben w., Alam, M.U., Le, L., Damian, R.T., Wolf, R.F., White, G.L., Carey, D.W., Carter, D., Reed, S.G., and Siddiqui, A.A. (2014).Cross-species protection:Schistosoma mansoni Sm-p80 vaccine confers protection against Schistosoma haematobium in hamsters and baboons. Vaccine 32:1296-1303 PMID: 24397898
- Siafullah, M.K, Ahmad, G. and Abidi, S.M.A. (2013) Immunodetection of coproantigens for the diagnosis of amphistomosis in naturally infected Indian Water Buffalo, Bubalus bubalis. Veterinary Parasitology 191:66-72. PMID: 23036808.
- Torben, W, Ahmad, G., Zhang, W., Nash, S.,., Le, L., Karmakar, S and Siddiqui, A.A. (2012).Role of antibody dependent cell mediated cytotoxicity (ADCC) in Sm-p80-mediated protection against Schistosoma mansoni. Vaccine. 30:6753-6758. PMID:23000221.
- Ahmad, G., Zhang, W., Torben, W., Ahrorov, A., Damian RT., Wolf RF, White GL, Carey, DW, Mwinzi, PNM, Leal, LG, Kennedy RC & Siddiqui AA. (2011). Preclinical prophylactic efficacy testing of Sm-p80 based vaccine in nonhuman primate model of Schistosoma mansoni and IgG/IgE response to Sm-p80 in human sera from Schistosome endemic area. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 204(9):1437-1449 PMID: 21921206.
- Saifullah, M.K., Ahmad, G., Abidi, S.M.A.(2011) Partial purification and charac-terization of Excretory/Secretory antigens of Gastrothylax crumenifer Veterinary Parasitology 180:232:236.. PMID:21459515
- Torben,W, Ahmad, G. Zhang,W & Siddiqui, A.A (2011). Role of antibodies in Sm-p80-mediated protection against Schistosoma mansoni challenge infection in murine and nonhuman primate models. Vaccine 29:2262-2271. PMID: 21277404
- Zhang, W, Ahmad, G. Torben,W ,. & Siddiqui, A.A (2011). Schistosoma mansoni antigen Sm-p80: Prophylactic efficacy of a vaccine formulated in human approved plasmid vector and adjuvant (VR1020 and alum) Acta Tropica 118:142-151. PMID:21334302
- Ahmad, G. Zhang, W, Torben,W , Noor, Z. & Siddiqui, A.A (2010). Protective effects of Sm-p80 in the presence of resiquimod as an adjuvant against challenge infection with Schistosoma mansoni in mice. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 14:e781-e787. PMID: 20630783
- Zhang, W, Ahmad, G., Torben, W & Siddiqui, A.A (2010). Sm-p80- based DNA vaccine made in a human use approved vector VR1020 protects against challenge infection with Schistosoma mansoni in mouse. Parasite Immunology 32: 252-258. PMID: 20398225
- Ahmad, G., Zhang, W., Torben, W., Noor, Z., Le L., Damian RT., Wolf RF, White GL, Chavez-Suarez M, Podesta, RB, Kennedy RC & Siddiqui A.A. (2010).Sm-p80 based DNA vaccine protects baboons against Schistosoma mansoni infection to comparable levels achieved by irradiated cercarial vaccine. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 201: 1105-1112. PMID: 20187746
- Ahmad, G., Zhang, W., Torben, W., Haskins, C., Diggs, S., Noor, Z., Le, L & Siddiqui A.A. (2009). Prime-boost and recombinant protein vaccination strategies using Sm-p80 protects against Schistosoma mansoni infection in the mouse model to levels previously attainable only by irradiated cercarial vaccine Parasitology Research 105:1767-1777. PMID: 19809833
- Ahmad, G., Zhang, W., Torben, W., Damian RT., Wolf RF, White GL, Chavez-Suarez M., Kennedy RC & Siddiqui A.A. (2009). Protective and antifecundity effects of Sm-p80 based DNA vaccine formulation against Schistosoma mansoni in a nonhuman primate model, Vaccine 27: 2830-2837. PMID:19366570
- Ahmad, G., Torben, W., Zhang, W., Wyatt M., & Siddiqui A.A. (2009).Sm-p80 based DNA vaccine formulation induces potent protective immunity against Schistosoma mansoni. Parasite Immunology 31:156-161.PMID:19222788
- Siddiqui, A.A., Ahmad G., Damian RT & Kennedy RC. (2008). Experimental Vaccines in Animal Models for Schistosomiasis. Parasitology Research 102:825-833.PMID: 1825977.
- Ahmad, G., Dickerson, MB.,Ye Cai, Jones SE., Ernst, EM., Vernon,P.J Haluskaa,MS., Fang, Y.,Wang, J., Subramanyam, G. Naik, RR. & Sandhage K H. (2008) Rapid Bio-Enabled Formation of Ferroelectric BaTiO3 at Room Temperature from an Aqueous Salt Solution at Near Neutral pH. Journal of American Chemical Society 130: (1) 4-5.PMID:18067293
- Dickerson, M.B., Jones, S.E, Cai, Ye, Ahmad, G.,., Naik, R.R., Kröger, N.& Sandhage, K.H (2008). Identification and design of peptides for the rapid high yield formation of nanoparticulate TiO2 from aqueous solutions at room temperature. Chemistry of Materials 20 (4) 1578-1584
- Bao, Z., Weatherspoon, M.R., Shian, S., Cia Ye, Graham, P.D., Allan, S.M., Ahmad, G., Dickerson, M.B., Church, B.C., Kang, Z., Abernathy, H.W.III, Summers, C.J., Meilin, L. & Sandhage, K.H. (2007).Chemical reduction of three-dimensional silica micro-assemblies into microporous silicon replicas Nature, 446 (7132) 172-175.PMID: 17344850.
- Kusari, U., Bao, Z. , Cai, Y. Ahmad, G., Sandhage, K. H & Sneddon L. G.(2007) Formation of Nanostructured, Nanocrystalline Boron Nitride Microparticles with Diatom-Derived 3-D Shapes. Chemical Communication (11), 1177-1179 PMID: 17347731
- Kusari, U., Bao, Z. , Cai, Y. Ahmad, G., Sandhage, K. H & Sneddon L. G.(2006). Template routes to non-oxide ceramic nano-and microstructures. Material Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume: 921: 72-77.
- Kröger, N., Dickerson, M.B, Ahmad, G., Cia, Y., Haluska, M.S., Sandhage, K.H., Poulsen, N. & Sheppard, V.C. (2006). Bioenabled synthesis of rutile (TiO2) under mild reaction condition Angewandte Chemie International Edition 45, 7239-7243.PMID: 17009353
- Ahmad G., Dickerson MB, Church BC, Ye Cai, Jones SE, King SJ, Summers CJ, Kröger N., Naik RR. & Sandhage KH. (2006) Rapid Room-Temperature Formation of Crystalline Calcium Molybdate Phosphor Microparticles via Peptide-Induced Precipitation. Advanced Materials 18, 1759-1763.
- Sandhage, KH., Allan, S.M., Dickerson M.B., Gaddis, C.S., Shian, S., Weatherspoon, M.R., Cia Ye, Ahmad, G., Haluska M.S., Snyder R.L., Unocic R.R., Zalor, F.M., Zhang Y., Rapp, R.A.,
- Hildebrand M. & Palenik B.P. (2005). Merging biological self-assembly with synthetic chemical tailoring: The potential for 3-D genetically engineered micro/nano-devices (3-D GEMS). International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 2(4) 314-326.
- Ahmad#, G., Sachdeva, S., Malhotra, P., Mukherjee, P. & Chauhan, V.S. (2004) Comparison of immunogenicities of recombinant Plasmodium vivax Merozoite Surface Protein 1 19 and 42 Kilo Dalton fragments expressed in Escherichia coli. Infection and Immunity 72:5775-5782. (#Co-first author with equal contribution). PMID:15385477
- Ahmad, G., Saifullah, M.K., & Nizami, W. A (2004) Partial purification and characterization of Gigantocotyle explanatum somatic antigens. Journal of Helminthology 78: 95-99. PMID: 15153279.
- Maestre, A., Sunil, S., Ahmad ,G., Mohmmed, A. , Marcela, A., Mauricio, C., Silvia, B. Chauhan V.S. & Malhotra, P. (2004) Plasmodium vivax: Inter-allelic recombination in the merozoite surface protein 1 among Indian and Colombian isolates. Malaria Journal (3). (1) 4. PMID: 15003129
- Malhotra, M. , Ahmad, G. , Sachdeva, S., Bhardwaj, A., Lalitha, P.V., Rao, P.P. & Chauhan, V.S (2003). Immunogenicity of E. coli expressed Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax MSP-1 42 and MSP-1 19 proteins with different adjuvants. Vaccine 21:3513-3514.
- Ahmad, G., Nizami, W. A. Saifullah , M. K. (2001) Analysis of potential antigens of protoscoleces isolated from pulmonary and hepatic hydatid cysts of Bubalus bubalis. Comparative Immunology Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 24 (2): 91-101. PMID: 11247049
- Saifullah , M. K., Ahmad, G., Nizami, W. A. (2000) Effect of parasitism on the biomolecules of Gyralus convexusculus hepatopancreas. Journal of Veterinary Parasitology 14: 21-26.
- Saifullah , M. K., Ahmad, G., Nizami, W. A. and Abidi, S. M. .A.(2000) Partial purification and characterization of Gastrothylax crumenifer somatic antigens. Veterinary Parasitology 89:23-29 PMID:10729642.
- Saifullah , M. K., Ahmad, G. and Nizami, W. A. (2000) Analysis of excretory -secretory and somatic antigens of Gastrothylax crumenifer (Trematoda: Digenea). Journal of Helminthology 74: 271-276. PMID: 11203057
- Ahmad G. and Nizami, W. A. (1998) Partial purification of protoscolex antigens and their possible role in the immunodiagnosis of echinococcosis. Parasitologia Hungarica 31: 39-45.
- Ahmad, G. and Nizami, W. A. (1998) Coproantigens: Early detection and suitability of an immunodiagnostic method for echinococcosis in dogs. Veterinary Parasitology 77: 237-244. PMID: 9763314
- Sandhage, KH., Allan, S.M., Dickerson M.B., Gaddis, C.S., Shian, S., Weatherspoon, M.R., Cia Ye, Ahmad, G., Haluska M.S., Snyder R.L., Unocic R.R., Zalor, F.M., Zhang Y., Rapp, R.A., Hildebrand M. & Palenik B.P. (2010). Merging biological self-assembly with synthetic chemical tailoring: The potential for 3-D genetically engineered micro/nano-devices (3-D GEMS). In: Progress in Nanotechnology: Applications, edited by ACerS, Pages: 85-94 Wiley A John Wiley & Sons Inc. Publications
- Sandhage, KH., Allan, S.M., Dickerson M.B., Ernst, E.M. Gaddis, C.S., Shian, S., Weatherspoon, M.R., Ahmad, G., Cia Ye, Haluska M.S., Snyder R.L., Unocic R.R. & Zalor, F.M.(2007) Inorganic preforms of biological origin:Shape-Preserving reactive conversion of biosilica microshellls (Diatoms), In: Handbook of Biomineralization, Biomimetic and Bio-inspired Chemistry Vol.2 Pages:235-253. (P. Behrens, E. Bauerlein, eds.), Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, (Germany).
- Nizami, W.A. and Ahmad, G. (1995) Cadmium pollution and prevalence of infectious diseases in the Indian perspective. In: “Toxicity and Monitoring of Xenobiotics” pp. 67-78. Prakash, R. and Sood, P. eds. Venus Publishing House, New Delhi, (INDIA).