T 9:00am – 10:00am
R 9:00am – 10:00am & 2:00pm – 3:00pm
F 2:00pm – 3:00pm *Also by scheduled (emailed) appointment
Note: I am not always in my office; I have multiple labs that I work in so you may need to look around.
Chem 101- 000A, 000B & 000C / General Chemistry I & Lab
Phys 201- 000A, 000B & 000C / General Physics I, Lab & Recitation
Chem 205-000A & 000B / Principles of Qualitative Analysis with Lab
Phys 202-000A, 000B, & 000C / General Physics II with Lab & Recitation
My research interests include nano-scale material synthesis, characterization, and device fabrication. The specific objective of my research is to investigate the fundamental behavior of manipulated (either synthetically or mechanically) nano-scale materials and composites for sensing applications. The research techniques include analytical chemistry, electrochemistry, and materials chemistry. Further details include:
- Ion-selective electrodes
- Identification of new ionophores and fundamental studies
- Polymeric (mixed-matrix) membranes
- Metallic nanomaterial synthesis and characterization
- Nanomaterial assembly and multilayered films
- Plasmonic nanomaterials
- Nathan L. Netzer, Zhenqiang Wang, Shi-Li Zhang, and Zhen Zhang. Potentiometric response and complexation studies of a size-selective supercontainer for molecular ion sensing. (In Preparation).
- Indrek Must, Nathan L. Netzer, Shi-Li Zhang, Zhang. Charging Characteristics of Solid-Contact Ion-Selective Electrodes Having a Capacitive Ion-to-Electron Transducer Layer. (In Preparation).
- Xi Chen, Qitao Hu, Si Chen, Nathan L. Netzer, Zhenqiang Wang, Shi-Li Zhang, and Zhen Zhang. Multiplexed Analyses of Molecular and Elemental Ions Using a Nanowire Transistor Sensor Array. (Submitted).
- Nathan L. Netzer, Indrek Must, Yupu Qiao, Zhenqiang Wang, and Zhen Zhang. Biomimetic supercontainers for size-selective electrochemical sensing of molecular ions. Scientific Reports 7 (2017).
- Da Zhang, Indrek Must, Nathan L. Netzer, Xingxing Xu, Paul Solomon, Shi-Li Zhang, and Zhen Zhang. Direct Assessment of Solid-Liquid Interface Noise in Ion Sensing Using a Differential Method. Phys. Lett. 2016, 108, 151603.
- Nathan L. Netzer, Feng-Rong Dai, Zhenqiang Wang, and Chaoyang Jiang. pH-Modulated Molecular Orientation of Amphiphilic Metal-Organic Supercontainers at the Air-Water Interface. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53(41), 10965-10969.
- Chao Qiu, Ying Bao, Nathan L. Netzer, Chaoyang Jiang. Environment-Dependent Optical Scattering of Cuprous Oxide Microcrystals in Liquid Dispersions and Langmuir-Blodgett Films. Mater. Chem. C, 2014, 2 (29), 5910 – 5915
- Nathan L. Netzer, Zuki Tanaka, Bin Chen, and Chaoyang Jiang. Tailoring the SERS Enhancement Mechanisms of Silver Nanowire Langmuir-Blodgett Films via Galvanic Replacement Reaction. Phys. Chem. C., 2013, 117(31), 16187-16194.
- Chao Qiu, Ying Bao, Nathan L. Netzer, Chaoyang Jiang, Structure Evolution and SERS Activation of Cuprous Oxide Microcrystals via Chemical Etching. Mater. Chem. A, 2013, 1, 8790-8797.
- Thomas Beer, Zuki Tanaka, Nathan L. Netzer, Lynn J. Rothschild, and Bin Chen. Analysis of Uncultured Extremophilic Snow Algae by Non-Invasive Single Cell Raman Spectroscopy. SPIE 8152, Instruments, Methods, and Missions for Astrobiology XIV, 81520F
- Nathan L. Netzer, Chao Qiu, Yongyi Zhang, Cuikun Lin, Lifeng Zhang, Hao Fong, Chaoyang Jiang, Gold-Silver Bimetallic Porous Nanowires for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering. Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 9606-9608.
- Nathan L. Netzer, Ray Gunawidjaja, Marie Hiemstra, Qiang Zhang, Vladimir V. Tsukruk, and Chaoyang Jiang. Formation and Optical Properties of Compression Induced Nanoscale Buckles on Silver Nanowires. ACS Nano, 2009, 3(7), 1795-1802.
- Nathan Netzer, Indrek Must, Yupu Qiao, Zhengiang Wang, Zhen Zhang, and Shi-Li Zhang. Devices, Systems and Methods for Use of Electrical Ion sensors Based on Metal-Organic Supercontainers. Application Number: US 62/368,821. Priority Date: 07/29/2016
247th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, “Tunable surface-enhanced Raman scattering of chemically modified silver nanowire thin films.” (2014, March), PHYS #416 Poster, Dallas, TX.
244th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, “Porous bimetallic nanowires for high performance SERS.” (2012, August), INOR #579 Oral, Philadelphia, PA.
242nd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, “SERS of porous Langmuir-Blodgett thin films.” (2011, August), PHYS #475 Poster, Denver, CO.
237th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, “Characterization of nanocomposite thin films containing cellulose nanocrystals.” (2009, March), CELL #49 Poster, Salt Lake City, UT.
2015-2017 Department of Solid State Electronics, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
2011-2014 Department of Chemistry, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
PhD in Materials Chemistry
2009-2011 Department of Chemistry, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
MS in Chemistry
2005-2009 Department of Chemistry, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
BS in Chemistry (minor: Biology)