Independent Living

Independent Living Policy

Peru State College acknowledges that there are students who desire to live within the local community in a safe and responsible manner.  As such, a student can seek an “independent student” status as long as (s/he) meets at least one qualification of the policy. Additionally, students must seek and receive approval from the Office of Residence Life in order to live off campus or commute within the given parameters by completing the "Independent Living Request” form. The Request form must be submitted annually.


An independent living student is a student who meets at least one of following criteria by August 15 (Fall enrollees) or December 15 (Spring enrollees):

  • The student is living locally with parent(s) or a legal guardian(s) permanent residence within a fifty (50) driving miles (court documentation required for legal guardian)
  • Student is married
  • Student has a dependent minor(s)
  • Student teaching
  • Student has met the 2 year (4 semesters) residency requirement
  • Student is 21 years or older


Acceptable reasons to appeal for cancellation of contract:

  • Change in Family Status (marriage or children)
  • Graduation
  • Student Teaching
  • Call to Active Military Service
  • An unforeseen extreme financial hardship (a written appeal for an extreme financial hardship must be submitted and approved by the Office of Residence Life before an agreement may be cancelled, each appeal will be reviewed based on preset criteria for determining extreme financial hardship)
  • Other requests may be considered with supporting documentation submitted to the Office of Residence Life
  • Transfer to another institution (documentation required)


If you meet at least one of the above criteria by the first day of classes for fall or spring semester:

  • Complete the Independent Living Request form and submit it for approval by August 15 (Fall semester) or December 15 (Spring semester)**
  • A decision will be sent to your College provided email account
**Late Independent Living Request - The Office of Residence Life may approve a request after the deadline based on supported conditions.  Any approvals will be subject to appropriate College related fees.

 Special Notes

  • New students who have applied for admittance after August 15 or December 15 (when applicable) must submit the “Independent Living Request” form by the first day of classes or will be subject to the housing contract cancellation fee of $150.
  • Students not meeting the above criteria will need to meet the on-campus residency requirement and pay all associated charges. Additionally, if a student’s residency situation changes, the student must notify the Office of Residence Life or they may be subject to meet the on-campus residency requirement and pay all associated charges.
  • Students must update/renew their status each academic year.

For questions, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 402-872-2246 or email .