Frequently Asked Questions

I am a victim of sexual violence or sex harassment. What should I do? 

  1. Get to a safe place and report the incident: You are strongly encouraged to seek immediate assistance if you or someone you know is the victim of any form of sexual violence or sex harassment.  The first priority is ensuring the individual is free from immediate danger and obtains necessary medical treatment.  Assistance can be obtained 24 hours a day, seven days a week from:

    • Local police – 911

Once the immediate threat of harm is eliminated and emergency medical treatment is obtained, you are also strongly urged to report any sexual violence or sex harassment to Peru State’s Title IX Coordinator.  The Title IX Coordinator is available during business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday).

  1. If it was recent, you should seek immediate medical attention:
  • Go to the Health Center on campus, a local clinic such as Auburn Family Health Center, or your primary care physician for medical treatment; or
  • Go to an emergency room for a forensic exam AND medical treatment

The forensic exam will assist with an investigation and potential prosecution. The evidence collected may be important to prove rape, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or other sexual assault, and may assist in obtaining a protection order.

  1. Students interested in seeking counseling and/or guidance may also contact the Peru State Counseling Center on the second floor of CATS, which offers guidance and support in collaboration with the Dean of Student Life. You can also call the Counseling Center at 402-872-2425 or email them at The Counseling Center can provide assistance and/or referrals for a range of services both on and off campus, including counseling, health, mental health, victim advocacy, and legal assistance.

I want to report sexual violence or sex harassment.  What should I do?

If you want to report sexual violence or sex harassment, you should do so immediately following medical treatment/exam.  You can contact the Peru State Security Office at 402-872-2411, or Nemaha County Sheriff’s Department at 402-274-3139, or go to a hospital emergency room specializing in forensic care if the situation occurred within the last five days. If you have any questions about what to do or where to go, contact the Student Life office at 402-872-2246 for more information.

I am not sure I want to report the sexual violence or sex harassment. What are my options?

Even if you are unsure whether you want to file a report with police or other offices, you may still seek medical treatment and obtain a forensic exam to preserve evidence in the event you later decide to report.title="I do not want to report the sexual violence or sex harassment. What should I do?" icon="plus-circle"It is your decision whether or not you want to report. Regardless of whether you report the incident, you are encouraged to seek medical attention.title="My experience was not recent. What should I do?" icon="plus-circle"You can benefit from services that offer support days, weeks, months, and even years after you experienced sexual violence or sex harassment.  Call the Peru State Counseling Center at 402-872-2425 or email for information and resources.

I want to preserve evidence of the sexual violence. What should I do?

  • Do not shower
  • Do not eat, drink, or brush your teeth
  • Wear or bring the clothes you wore at the time of the assault to the hospital
  • Try not to use the restroom until you are at the hospital

I have or want a restraining or no-contact order. What should I do?

A restraining order is an order from a court that requires one part to do, or refrain from doing, certain acts. For example, it can protect you from being physically abused, threatened, stalked or harassed. If you have a court order, you should inform Peru State Campus Security and/or the Title IX Coordinator. Peru State can help to ensure that the restraining or no-contact order is followed on campus and at Peru State events. Even if you do not have a court order, Peru State may issue a no-contact order as part of its Title IX sexual violence/sex harassment investigation and resolution procedures or take further protective action to minimize the interactions of you and the accused, such as rearranging course schedules, moving housing assignments, or altering College employment arrangements. The Title IX Coordinator can assist you with any of the above options at your request.