Student Learning Goals and Outcomes
- Content and Foundational Knowledge: Students will understand the scientific and theoretical foundations for the delivery of an effective pre-K-12 health and physical education program.
- Students will be able to analyze historical, philosophical and social perspectives of health and physical education issues and legislation.
- Students will be able to describe and apply motor learning and behavior-change/ psychological principles related to skillful movement, physical activity and fitness for pre-K-12 students.
- Skills and Health-related fitness: Students will be physically literate and can demonstrate skillful performance in physical and health education content areas.
- Students will be able to demonstrate competency in all fundamental motor skills, as well as skillful performance in physical education content areas.
- Students will be able to synthesize and present information relating to health content areas to a diverse audience.
- Planning and Implementation of Health and Physical Education Curriculum: Students will plan and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences aligned with local, state, and/or national standards for Pre-K – 12 students.
- Students will be able to plan and implement appropriate (e.g., measureable, developmentally appropriate, performance-based) short- and long-term plan objectives that are aligned with local, state and/or SHAPE America National Standards and Grade-Level Outcomes for K-12 Physical Education.
- Students will be able to plan and implement individualized instruction for diverse student needs, adding specific accommodations and/or modifications for all students.
- Instructional Delivery and Management: Students will engage Pre-K – 12 students in meaningful learning experiences through effective use of pedagogical skills.
- Students will be able to implement transitions, routines and positive behavior management to create and maintain a safe, supportive and engaging learning environment.
- Students will be able to Analyze motor skills and performance concepts in order to provide specific, congruent feedback to enhance student learning.
- Assessment of Student Learning: Students will select and implement appropriate assessments to monitor students’ progress and guide decision making related to instruction and learning.
- Students will be able to implement formative assessments that monitor student learning before and throughout the long-term plan, as well as summative assessments that evaluate student learning upon completion of the long-term plan.
- Students will be able to implement a reflective cycle to guide decision-making based on student learning, and short- and long-term plan objectives.
- Professional Responsibility: Students will exhibit professional ethics and culturally competent practices in health and physical education.
- Students will be able to engage in behavior that reflects professional ethics, practice and cultural competence.
Please select from the various Health, Physical Education and Recreation programs below to display the full course line-up.
The full listing of Teacher Education options, beyond Health and Physical Education (PK-12) Field Endorsement and Coaching (Supplemental), can be found under the Teacher Education option in the left hand menu.