Commencement | Graduation
When: Saturday, May 4, 2024
Where: In person, at the Al Wheeler Activity Center.
Time: 10 a.m.
- Check-in for Graduates will begin at 8:45 a.m. in the Fitness Center
- Reception on the lawn in front of TJ Majors following graduation until 1:00 p.m.
THERE IS NO REHEARSAL.
PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
Congratulations on your accomplishments at Peru State! All graduates from August 2023, December 2023, May 2024 and August 2024 are eligible to participate in commencement exercises. If you have previously declined participation, it is not too late to change your mind. Peru State students who have not previously participated in commencement exercises should contact Student Records to discuss their eligibility. We encourage ALL graduates to participate and celebrate this accomplishment with their friends, families, and fellow graduates.
Best Western Nebraska City Inn | 402-873-7000
Deluxe Inn Nebraska City | 402-873-6656
Lied Lodge & Conference Center | 402-873-8733
Victorian Acres Campground | 402-873-6866
Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast | 402-873-5850
The Cabin at Honey Creek Bed and Breakfast | 850-916-1616
This is intended for informational purposes only and may not be a complete list. We cannot speak for any of these locations as far as availability, quality, or price.
Seating for guests will be on a first come, first served basis. There will be a section reserved on the gym floor for those who have physical limitations. See an usher at the door for assistance. We highly recommend that your guests plan to come early to allow time for parking, shuttle services, walking, etc.
We ask that you please make sure all cell phones are set to silent or shut off. Please remind your guests to do this as well.
Thank you! We look forward to seeing you at Commencement. Please do not hesitate to call the Student Records Office at 402-872-2334 if you have any questions.
Restrooms for graduates are located near the north entrance to the fitness center. Guest restrooms are located in the lobby of the AWAC.
There is no cost to order your cap and gown. All orders will be shipped to the college and can be picked up in the Student Records Office beginning on Monday, April 29th. Orders not picked up before Friday, May 3rd will be available at Commencement check in on Saturday May 4th. All students participating in the ceremony are required to wear traditional commencement attire. If any commencement official deems your attire inappropriate, you may be removed from the commencement ceremony. All caps and gowns are black for the commencement ceremony. Contact Student Records at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-872-2334 if you have any questions.
If you are a member of a nationally recognized honor society and/or a member of a recognized organization (e.g. Student Senate), please check with your organization’s faculty sponsor to see if your organization or honor society has been approved to wear honor cords for this year’s Commencement. Make arrangements with the faculty sponsor prior to Commencement to obtain information regarding purchase and receipt of the appropriate honor cord(s). We will not have extra honor cords at Commencement.
MASTER: Wear your tassel on the left side throughout the entire commencement ceremony.
We will assemble in the Fitness Center in the Al Wheeler Activity Center for the processional line-up. Check-in will take place there. Plan to stay in the Fitness Center in the Al Wheeler Activity Center for checking in and lining up for the processional until the commencement ceremony begins. There is nowhere to secure valuables so you may want to give those to one of your guests before coming to check in. Please note: For safety reasons, it is not permissible for anyone, including children, other than the graduating students to march in the processional down the aisle to the graduate seating or across the stage.
- Master Degree Candidates: Dr. Wendy Waugh, Vice President for Academic Affairs, will ask all candidates to stand and she will present them, as a group, to President Michael Evans. President Evans will then verbally confer the degrees. Following the conferring of the degrees by President Evans, row by row, the master's degree candidates will proceed to the steps at the foot of the stage. Each candidate will hand their name card to the Reader and wait for their name to be announced. As names are announced, candidates will move forward to be hooded and receive their diplomas from Dr. Wendy Waugh and then proceed across the stage to shake hands with President Evans (photos will be taken while you shake hands, so please direct your attention to the photographer). After exiting the stage, candidates will be directed to a second photographer before being seated.
- Bachelor Degree Candidates: Dr. Wendy Waugh, Vice President for Academic Affairs, will ask all candidates to stand and she will present them, as a group, to President Michael Evans. President Evans will then verbally confer the degrees. Following the conferring of the degrees by President Evans, row by row, the master's degree candidates will proceed to the steps at the foot of the stage. Each candidate will hand their name card to the Reader and wait for their name to be announced. As names are announced, candidates will move forward to receive their diplomas from Dr. Wendy Waugh and then proceed across the stage to shake hands with President Evans (photos will be taken while you shake hands, so please direct your attention to the photographer). After exiting the stage, candidates will be directed to a second photographer before being seated.
- When all graduates have received diplomas, both groups will be asked by President Evans to rise for recognition. Please remain standing for the recessional.
- Remember, on the day of Commencement, everyone will receive a diploma cover with a message from President Evans inside. Diplomas for those who graduated in December 2023 and August 2023 were previously mailed. All other diplomas will be mailed after requirements have been confirmed and degrees have been posted to official transcripts. All December 2023 and August 2023 graduates are asked to please deposit their diploma covers in the drop box after the recessional since their covers were previously mailed to them along with their diplomas.
Post Graduation Ceremony
Please join us for a reception honoring our graduates on the lawn of TJ Majors, weather permitting, immediately following the commencement ceremony. Your families and friends are also invited to attend the event, which will feature a complimentary lunch, live music, and an opportunity for our faculty and staff to wish you well in your future endeavors. Shuttle service will be available for transportation from the AWAC to the lawn of TJ Majors for those who have mobility issues.
Who: Graduates, Families, Friends, Students, Faculty & Staff
What/Where: Reception on the lawn of TJ Majors
When: Saturday, May 4, 2024, immediately following graduation until 1:00 p.m.
GradImages will be the official photographer at your graduation ceremony.
Your photos will be available to view and order as soon as 48-72 hours after the ceremony, by visiting our website at www.gradimages.com.
Enter your Last Name, your School Name (Peru State College), and select 2024 from the dropdown menu. Everyone will be photographed, there is no need to sign-up.
Once you see your name, click on the link to view your photos.