A degree in social science combines an extensive knowledge of history with coursework in economics, geography, political science, psychology and anthropology/sociology. Because of its breadth, the social science major is excellent preparation for those considering a variety of options including law school, non-profits, graduate and professional programs, public service, media, military service, and museum work.
What makes the program unique?
- Opportunity as an undergraduate student to serve as a judges’ assistant for the annual History Day program for high school students. A paid Assistant Director of History Day position is also available for a talented history or social science major.
- Phi Alpha Theta is a national honor society for history and social science majors. This club sponsors speakers, plus hosts big events such as Election Day Festival and Constitution Day programming. Its members attend and present papers at regional conferences and participate in experiential trips related to the major.
- A student intern for the State of Nebraska Unicameral is selected each year from the history and social science majors. Interns have also been selected in the federal level of the legislative branches. Other internships awarded in state and local government units, as well as in regional museums.
- Students have the opportunity as a sophomore, junior and senior to receive a Harding Social Science scholarship valued at $1,000 per year.
- Instructional format permitting students personal and extended contact with faculty and individualized guidance throughout all coursework.
- Each program at Peru State College is reviewed on a continual basis and coursework is updated to meet evolving standards.
- Students completing a degree at Peru State College are prepared to attend the nation’s top graduate schools in all program areas.
- Minoring in a subject area outside of the major is simple at Peru State and can broaden the scope of knowledge and can improve employment prospects for any student.
What sets faculty apart from other colleges?
- A faculty that is dedicated to undergraduate education and advancement of students in social science.
- Participate in research seminars with students so that students can apply and advance their studies in social science.
- Excellent placement rate for students seeking education positions and graduate degrees
The social science department is housed in the Jindra Fine Arts building located on the campus quad. This facility boasts classrooms and faculty offices along with the Benford Recital Hall and music facilities.