Southeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (SENTA) is a partnership among Peru State College
(PSC), Educational Service Unit 4 (ESU #4), and the school districts in the ESU #4
region. This partnership allows individuals who qualify for a local substitute teaching
permit to obtain a SENTA substitute certificate issued by the Nebraska Department
of Education (NDE), making them eligible to substitute teach at all schools within
the ESU #4 region. SENTA is the Local Substitute Permit partnership with ESU #4.
Participants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for this program:
● A minimum of 60 hours of college coursework successfully completed
● Completion of a Professional Education Course
● Completion of the Human Relations Training Requirement
What Is It?
● A one credit course designed for Junior/Senior level students interested in becoming substitute teachers in Nebraska Educational Service Unit #4 (ESU #4) school districts.
● The opportunity to pay for one local substitute teaching permit that will allow you to substitute teach in multiple school districts in ESU #4.
● An opportunity to gain exposure to real classroom experiences.
● A chance to develop professional dispositions and interactions with experienced classroom teachers.
● A platform to introduce your professional teaching skills to a wide variety of school districts while serving K-12 students.
● Professional development through “on the job” experiences with classroom management and organizational strategies that will help you become an exemplary teacher!
Who Should Apply?
● Teacher candidates fully admitted to the Peru State College Teacher Education program.
● Teacher candidates with a minimum of 60 hours of completed college coursework.
● Teacher Candidates with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher (Current PSC students).
● Individuals who meet the local state sub requirements .
● Teacher Candidates with no School of Education professional disposition deficiencies.
● Teacher Candidates at Peru State College with a burning desire to learn more about becoming an excellent classroom teacher!
If I Meet the Above Qualifications, How Should I Apply?
Complete and submit application packet to the School of Education. This packet includes:
● Online application- click here and complete the application . Once you hit the “submit” button, your application will be sent to the School of Education
● Contract Form - A signed contract is required. The contract form is attached to the email you received or may be picked up in TJ Majors 207 (Education Office).
There are three ways to submit your signed contract:
● Scanned and uploaded with your e-form (preferred)
● Scanned and emailed (subject line “SENTA”) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Paper copy dropped off or mailed to the following:
School of Education Office
TJ Majors 207
Peru State College
600 Hoyt Street
P.O. Box 10
Peru, NE 68421-0010
Cost & Other Information:
Tuition cost of one credit class ( EDUC 320 ) for 2019-2020 is approximately $250.
You will need to request your college transcript for submission to NDE: Cost varies
At your first class meeting for EDUC 320, you will need to submit *payment for the following:
● Substitute permit ** Nebraska Resident: $55
● Substitute permit Nebraska Non-Resident: $105
● A single day of substitute teaching will recover the cost of your NDE application fees. Local substitute teaching rates range from $90 to $139 per full day.
* payments for these fees will be made through Peru State College
** Nebraska Resident definition: Must have maintained residency in Nebraska for five continuous years. If you are not a Nebraska resident, fingerprints are required by NDE. This processing fee is the additional $50 that is added to the $55 permit fee above.
For More Information Contact: