Dr. Amber Mahan
Dean of the School of Professional Studies
The School of Professional Studies offers majors and minors in Business, Psychology, and Criminal Justice, with an emphasis on practical applications. We focus on what our graduates will be able to do, in addition to what they will know, and this focus gives our graduates an edge in the workplace. We prepare our students for a wide variety of careers in accounting, business, criminal justice and psychology and for post baccalaureate educational opportunities.
Here are some examples of recent innovations in our practical and accessible programs:
- Our unique Business Administration degree provides students the opportunity to take a strong business core of classes and select from a variety of options. Accounting; Computer and Management Information Systems; Human Resources and Risk Management; Management; Marketing; Public Administration; and Business, Marketing, and Information Technology (secondary teaching) allow students a wide array of choices.
- Our students are fortunate to have instructions provided by numerous scholar practitioners. Among our faculty are Certified Public Accountants with master's degrees, attorneys, small business experts, human resources professionals, skilled computer information systems experts, and faculty members with research experience.
- Our flexible Psychology major allows students to learn with and be mentored by experienced researchers who prepare our students for advanced education studies or careers in the psychology and human services field. We have an approved State of Nebraska Alcohol and Drug Counseling curriculum which assists students in progressing towards eventual licensure.
- Our Criminal Justice program has options in Justice Administration, Justice Counseling and Law and Society. Criminal Justice graduates have continued on to a wide variety of successful careers and post baccalaureate educational opportunities. Scholar-practitioners with a wide variety of experience in corrections, forensic science, probation and parole, policing and law form the core of our criminal justice faculty.
- Our Bachelor of Applied Science program allows a candidate with virtually any associate’s degree or the equivalent to complete a bachelor’s degree in two years or less – entirely online.
- The School of Professional Studies offers minors in Alcohol and Drug Counseling, Accounting, Business Administration, Computer and Management Information Systems, Criminal Justice, Marketing, Organizational Leadership and Management, Organizational Leadership and Global Studies, and Psychology.
- Students with substantial life experience may qualify to take our portfolio development course, College 201, which allows the creation of a prior learning portfolio and subsequent evaluation for college credit. While students in the Bachelor of Applied Science – Management program often benefit from this course, other students with substantial prior learning or noncollege certifications may qualify for some academic credit.
- Through Peru Quest we partner with other academic schools at Peru State College and provide students unique and affordable study abroad opportunities partially funded by the Peru State College Foundation.
- A Peru State College Business, Psychology, or Criminal Justice degree may be completed in a traditional classroom setting - or entirely online!
Our dedicated and accessible faculty are experienced practitioners and experienced
educators who are committed to our students’ success – in college, in graduate and
professional schools, and in their careers.
For help in your educational and career planning, contact the School of Professional Studies at 402-872-2232 or email ProfessionalStudies@peru.edu.