Research Guide | History
JSTOR - Mobile friendly
U.S. History in Context (Gale) - Full-text articles on U.S. history
World History in Context (Gale) - Full-text articles on world history
Social Science Database (ProQuest) - Mobile friendly; Full-text articles
Google Scholar - Free access. Evaluate articles to ensure journals are reliable.
New York Times (First, use New York Times Group Pass to create an account. Then use NYTimes.com to access with your created account.) - 1851-present, use TimesMachine to browse full archival issues and the search feature to find archival articles (each day only 5 articles can be accessed in the date range of 1923-1980)
HeinOnline - U.S. Congressional Documents, U.S. Congressional Serial Set, U.S. Treaties and Agreements Library, JFK Assassination Collection, Civil Rights and Social Justice, Slavery in American and the World, etc.
Primary Sources (Gale) - integrated search of the below 5 primary source collections
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers (Gale) - 500 U.S. newspapers covering historical events, daily life, and American culture; includes those published by African Americans, Native Americans, women's rights groups, labor groups, the Confederacy, and other select groups
- American Historical Periodicals Series 1-5 (Gale) - Focuses on the history of the American people from the Colonial Era into the twentieth century, presenting North American thought, culture, and society through a variety of perspectives.
- Archives of Sexuality & Gender (Gale) - Over 1.8 million pages focusing on LGBTQ History and Culture since 1940
- The Times (London) Digital Archive (Gale) - The Times of London, the oldest daily newspaper in continuous publication, from 1785 to 2014
- Women's Studies Archive (Gale) - collection of women's diaries, letters, photographs, news clippings, organizational records, etc. from the 19th and 20th centuries
Slavery and Anti-Slavery: A Transnational Archive (Gale) - Over 5.4 million pages devoted to the scholarly study and understanding of slavery from a multinational perspective
Access World News (NewsBank) - Global, national, and local news sources including 40+ Nebraska newspapers such as Omaha World Herald, Lincoln Journal Star, and Nebraska City News.
Black Life in America (NewsBank) - Experience and impact of African Americans as recorded by the news media
Hispanic Life in America (NewsBank) - Experience and impact of Hispanic Americans as recorded by the news media
European Views of the Americas: 1493 to 1750 (EBSCOhost) - Mobile friendly; Index of records about the Americas written in Europe before 1750
MyHeritage Library Edition (EBSCOhost) - genealogy; access through NebraskAccess, contact the Library for the off-campus login
- Library of Congress - Digital Collections
- Digital Public Library of America
- Constitution Annotated
- Congressional Record - 1995-present
- Congressional Record (Bound Edition) - 1873-2009
- Congressional Globe - 1833-1873
- Register of Debates - 1824-1837
- Annals of Congress - 1789-1824
- A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates - 1774-1875
- National Archives
- United States Census Bureau Publications - 1790-2010
- Statistical Abstract - United States Census Bureau
- State of Nebraska
- Nebraska Newspapers
- Economic Report of the President
Library Catalog - books, ebooks, DVDs, etc.
WorldCat.org - Locate books, DVDs, and more in libraries worldwide. Use item request (interlibrary loan) to obtain a copy of an item. Note: Items from non-U.S. libraries may be difficult to obtain.
Encyclopedia Britannica - Mobile friendly; Online encyclopedia
Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia (EBSCOhost) - Mobile friendly; Online encyclopedia
Biography Reference Bank (EBSCOhost) - Mobile friendly; Biographical full-text articles
Biography Reference Center (EBSCOhost) - Comprehensive collection of full-text biographies
Journal Finder - Search all databases for full text journals, magazines, and newspapers; not articles. Use if you have the citation for an article or if you need an article in a specific source (e.g. Wall Street Journal).
Titles of interest
Grad School Admissions Preparation (PrepStep) - GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MAT, and MCAT
Career and Workplace Preparation (PrepStep) - PRAXIS, teaching, law enforcement, caseworker, military, and more
Praxis: Social Studies: Content Knowledge (5081) - free publication from ETS
Praxis: World and U.S. History: Content Knowledge (5941) - free publication from ETS