Academic Probation/Suspension

After grades are submitted each semester, students are notified of their academic standing with the College. As an advisor, you may have questions about how to assist students who are on academic probation or who have been suspended. The Academic Probation and Suspension Information page contains the Probation/Suspension policies.

How can I tell if my advisees are on probation or have been suspended?

  1. Log in to myPSC
  2. Be sure you are viewing your role as Faculty/Advisor.
  3. Look under the Advisees tab at the top.
  4. Click My Advisees.
  5. You’ll see a list of all of your advisees. Their academic standing will be noted. If they are a new first-year student, they will likely not have an academic standing yet. For information about the various types of standings, consult the Academic Probation and Suspension Information page.

What steps do my students need to take if they are placed on probation?

They should access the Academic Probation and Suspension Information page and complete the Academic Probation Contract and Self-Assessment. This form asks them to think about the difficulties they faced which resulted in being placed on probation and their plan for success in the coming semester.

Students who are new to probation will not have their registration changed in any way. However, they will not be able change their registration until the probation contract is completed.

During the semester of probation, they will meet with an academic probation advisor to monitor their progress on their success plan. The academic probation advisor is different than their academic advisor and is usually Bobbie Barton, Jamie Eberly, or Janell Moore.

What are some ways that I can help my students who are academic probation?

This resource includes some strategies and tips for student success:

One of the best things students who are on probation is to repeat courses in which they have previously received an F. Students are notified of these courses on the letter they receive about probation.

What options do students have if they are suspended?

Students can appeal their suspension to the Vice President for Academic Affairs by completing this form. Students are directed to this information in the letter they receive and there is a deadline by which they must appeal.

If they are approved to come back before sitting out the length of their suspension period, they must complete the Academic Probation Contract and Self-Assessment on the Academic Probation and Suspension Information page before they can register. Students in this situation are then on probation.

Students are dropped from their upcoming term courses when they are suspended. So, if they are approved to come back early, they will need to register for those courses again.

If students sit out the one-semester suspension, they do not have to be re-admitted if they have only been out one semester. If they are out two semesters or more, they will need to be re-admitted through Admissions. For a second suspension, Faculty Senate must review their appeal before they are allowed to return. After three suspensions, the student may no longer continue at Peru State College.