You gain acceptance into the University of Nebraska Medial Center’s (UNMC) College of Nursing program at the Lincoln (two seats) or Omaha (two seats) campus upon satisfactory completion of the two-year undergraduate program at Peru State.
After successfully completing two years in the nursing program, you receive your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from UNMC and are qualified to take the NCLEX-RN, which is the national licensure examination for nursing.
The BSN degree is a generalist degree, but with it, you are qualified to enter graduate school to become a nurse educator or nurse practitioner, or to pursue the nursing doctorate.
UNMC College of Nursing recommends two years of study at Peru State, followed by two years of nursing education at the UNMC College of Nursing.
Career Preparation Activities
Exposure to the world of nursing and rural health care is an important additional objective of the student’s studies at PSC. Some activities in which each student may participate include:
- Attend UNMC conducted video conferences and classes.
- Develop a professional relationship with one or more practicing nurses.
- Job shadow nurses.
- Tour the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- Work with nursing students at UNMC.
- Potentially attend classes with nursing students at UNMC.
- Observe nurses practicing in community hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and other practice sites.
- Participate in on-campus activities for health professions students.
- Meet with the RHOP coordinator regularly and follow the specific curriculum designed for this program.
- Complete courses in a timely manner in order to enter the professional program as scheduled.
- Each student is required to keep a journal of his or her professional activities and experiences at PSC. The journals will be turned into the pre-pharmacy advisor at the end of each semester.
|Seats||4 (2 alternates)|
|Competitive ACT, but not required||23 or above|
|High School GPA Requirement||3.2 (must also maintain 3.2 GPA while studying at Peru State)|
|Time at Peru State/
Time at UNMC Omaha or Lincoln
|2 years at each|
|Full Scholarship at Peru State||Yes|
|Deadline to Apply (applications available September 1)||November 15|
|Interview Dates||Late November/Early December|
|Contact||Dr. Dennis Welsh