How do I ...
How do I know what to search?
Start with a subject guide on the library's homepage. Each guide lists databases for articles, books, eBooks, etc. that are relevant to that subject. If your topic doesn't seem to fit with any of the subjects, try the general topics guide.
How do I find books and articles?
- Books - Click on " Library Catalog" for books, eBooks, DVDs, and all other physical materials in the library. Since we share our catalog with Wayne State and Chadron State, you can also search their collections.
- More Books - WorldCat.org is a national and international library catalog of thousands of library collections. It has over 1 billion items. Listed on "Find Articles" and all subject guides.
- Articles - Click on "Databases". General resources (databases) especially Academic Search Premier are great places to start for all topics. Use a subject specific if your topic relates to that subject.
- eBooks - Click here if you only want to search the library's eBook collections.
- You may also use the search boxes on the library's homepage or use a subject guide to find resources for books and articles.
How do I find a journal article?
To find scholarly journal articles, check the limit results box for "Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals", "Peer reviewed", or "Scholarly journals" when you search. You will retrieve only journal articles.
How do I find an article with a citation?
Click on "Journal Finder" from the naviagtion list on the left side. Search for the title of the source (journal, magazine, newspaper title), not the title of the article.
If the library has the source in one of our resources, the title will be listed with link(s) to the resource that has it.
Check that the date of the article is in the date range beside the hyperlink of the resource. If it is, click on the hyperlink to open the resource and browse or search for the article.
If the library doesn't have the source or the issue needed, you will need to request the item through interlibrary loan.
How do I get materials that the PSC Library doesn't have?
- If you are searching the Library Catalog and want to use a physical item owned by Wayne State or Chadron State, click on the link to "Request" the item. You will need to enter your full name and your library card number found on the back of your PSC ID under the barcode. You will be notified when the item arrives at the library and is ready for pick up.
- Because of contract agreements, eBooks cannot be shared between libraries.
- For other items, you will request the item through interlibrary loan. See Request items (Interlibrary Loan) for more information.
How do I access the library's resources off-campus?
Click on "off-campus login" or the hyperlink title of any resource to be prompted for your library login. Your library login is the same as your MyPSC. See Tech Support for more information.
How do I log in to my library account in the Library Catalog (Find Books link)?
Enter your name and your library card number. On your PSC ID, your library card number is on the back under the barcode. See Tech Support for more information.
How do I check out or renew library materials?
To check out, bring the materials to the front desk with your library card/PSC ID. Library materials check out for 2 weeks. Overdue items accrue a fine of $.10 per day per item.
To renew, contact the library or log into your library account through the Library Catalog (Find Books link). To access your library account, you will need to enter your full name and your library card number found on the back of your PSC ID under the barcode.
All library materials may be checked out except journals, magazines, and newspapers (bound or unbound) and reference books.
How do I return library materials?
Materials may be returned inside at the front desk or outside at the dropbox in front of the library.
How do I get materials that my professor says are on "Reserve"?
Reserve materials are behind the front desk. Provide the professor's name and the title of the reserve material you wish to use. The material will be checked out to you. The check out time is determined by the professor.
How do I check out a laptop?
Bring your PSC ID or driver's license to the front desk. You will be asked to filled out an agreement. The library will keep your ID or driver's license until you return the laptop. Laptops can only be used in the library.
How do I print or make copies in the library?
All the library computers print to either the printer in the computer lab or the one in the print area beside the front desk. A copier is also available in the print area.
How do I connect to the campus wireless, Go Blue?
Go to the Computer Services information page about student email for your login. Scroll to the bottom of the webpage where there's a search box to enter your PSC email to retrieve your login for Go Blue.
How do I access my PSC email?
Go to the Computer Services information page about student email for your login.
How do I log into Blackboard or MyPSC?
Go to the webpage for common logging in issues for step-by-step help.
How do I reserve a library study room?
The four library study rooms (2 on the main floor and 2 on the curriculum floor) are available on a first come, first served basis. The study rooms have viewing and sounding equipment if you need to watch or listen to a DVD, VHS, or CD.
How do I use a library locker?
Library lockers are available for PSC student only for daily use in the DVD/Video collection area on the main floor. Students must provide their own locks and must be removed at the end of the day.
How do I get a job at the library?
The library keeps a list of students interested in working at the library. When a position becomes open, the library will consult the waiting list.