Study Guides and Practice Tests
The Peru State Library maintains numerous resources to support preparation for common standardized tests. Printed materials, including practice tests, can be found in the Study Aids section, located in the southwest corner of the main floor. Online, go to resources and click on Study Aids to find a wealth of information and practice tests.
Study Guide Zone seems to live up to its claim to be a "treasure trove of free resources for students, beginning professionals, and anyone else who wants to improve his or her score on a standardized test." This website contains free test guides and practice tests for all of the most common standardized tests, including: Accuplacer, ACT, CAAP, CLEP, PCAT, PPST/PRAXIS I and II, and TABE.
Another resource with information and practice tips for a wide variety of standardized tests is Exam2Jobs.com.
Here are some useful sites for developing testing savvy:
Students preparing to take the Collegiate Assessment of Academic Proficiency can:
- Go to www.act.org to get test information and practice questions directly from the test publisher: CAAP Student Guide or Sample Questions
- Find a CAAP study guide online at Study Guide Zone
- Go to HippoCampus (www.hippocampus.org) and/or the Khan Academy (www.knanacademy.org) for skills brush-up
- Watch free math tutorial videos at Patrick Just Math Tutoring
- Request an Intelligent Tutor installation CD from Ms. Marie Meland (MMeland@peru.edu or 402-872-2440) for math brush-up using an interactive math tutorial
- Try out some CAAP practice tests available online from sources such as TestPrepPractice.net
- Go through some CLEP practice tests at http://www.studyguidezone.com/clep.htm (eg., College Math, College Composition, English Composition, Natural Science)
PPST/PRAXIS Preparation for PSC Teacher Education Applicants
Free Accuplacer Diagnostics testing is available to Peru State students who would like to assess their skills and hone in on PPST/PRAXIS subject areas where they need improvement. Subjects available are reading, writing, mathematics, and/or elementary algebra. Contact Ms. Marie Meland at email@example.com or 402-872-2440 to arrange testing either on campus or at a proctored testing site.
The Center for Achievement and Transition Services (CATS) has PPST/PRAXIS preparation guides available for loan to PSC Teacher Education students. In addition, the Study Aids section at the PSC Library houses approximately 40 PPST/PRAXIS titles. Also see Dr. Bill Clemente's PPST Practice Guide (very helpful!)
Computerized Tutorial Programs
Peru State students can use a computerized math tutorial called Intelligent Tutor to develop their math skills in preparation for the PPST/PRAXIS. Contact Ms. Marie Meland (at firstname.lastname@example.org, at 402-872-2440, or in CATS 102) to request an installation disk for use on a home PC (sorry, not Intel or Mac compatible).
Other free and useful resources include HippoCampus (www.hippocampus.org), Khan Academy (www.knanacademy.org), and Patrick Just Math Tutoring.
Using Peru State e-mail addresses to set up accounts, students can take advantage of the online writing review program Grammarly to brush up on writing skills needed for the PPST/PRAXIS. In additional to professional and peer tutoring services, a number of computerized writing tutorials are also available in the Writing and Speaking Lab in CATS 208 (on the computers along the north wall. Free online instructional resources include HippoCampus (www.hippocampus.org) and Khan Academy (www.knanacademy.org).
Free walk-in tutoring for PPST/PRAXIS prep is available to Peru State students who can come to campus. Online-only students can receive free distance tutoring to help prepare for the PPST/PRAXIS. Click on the link above for more information on PSC tutorial services.
Recommended PPST/PRAXIS Prep Approach
- Take the diagnostic tests to identify your study needs.
- Work with computerized tutorial programs and peer tutors to build skills.
- Go through some practice guides to apply your new skills.
- Take the online practice tests to see if you are ready or need to repeat numbers 2 and 3 above.
Registering for the PPST/PRAXIS
Although PSC is a PPST/PRAXIS testing site, test registration is handled by ETS at www.ets.org/praxis.