NEW NHD PROGRAM
100 Leaders in World History
Peru District History Day
Junior & Senior Divisions, February 27, 2015
Dr. Sara B. Crook,
District History Day Coordinator
Schedule of Events
Photos of 2014 Awards
National History Day | Nebraska State Historical Society | PSC History Day Results
31st Annual Peru District History Day Contest:
Junior & Senior Divisions, Friday, Feb. 27, 2015
"Leadership and Legacy in History"
Contest Location: Peru State College Campus (Peru, NE)
Entry Fee: $10 per student
Registration Deadline: Monday, February 2, 2015
Historical Papers and web site submission Deadline: Monday, February 9, 2015
Special Awards for Peru State College's District History Day Contest:
"Tested for Excellence" Awards: For the fifteenth year the Peru State College Foundation is planning to award scholarships to each winner in the senior division, individual and group, in every category. This means that all senior division first place winners will receive a $500 tuition grant to Peru State College. The grants may be used for tuition costs for any classes held on the PSC campus. No early entry or online courses are eligible for use of these "Tested for Excellence" scholarships.
Peru State College will have once again, special awards that will be presented by local historical groups:
- New this year for 2015: "We Proceeded On" Special Award: To an individual entry in the Junior Division whose entry is focused on an individual or group who displayed extraordinary leadership in promoting a cause or an idea.
The award shall include:
- A one year pass (to awardee and immediate family) to the Missouri River Basin Lewis & Clark Center in Nebraska City, NE
- A copy of the book "Undaunted Journey" by Stephen Ambrose
- A certificate
- "Michelle A Broady Award for Extraordinary Determination" Phi Alpha Theta, PSC's History Honorary Society, is sponsoring this special award. All sponsoring teachers will be encouraged to nominate one of their History Day competitors for this award no later than 1 week before the contest date to Dr. Crook. The members of PSC's PAT will review the nominations and make the award presentation.
- The Kregel Windmill Museum in Nebraska City is sponsoring a special award for the best entry on a subject dealing with machinery used in agriculture, past or present.
- Peru Historical Foundation is sponsoring a trophy for the best entry, individual or group, focusing on a historical event/innovation of Nebraska.
- Nebraska City Museum Association is sponsoring an award with individual trophies for the best use of oral history interviews in an individual or group entry.
- The Mayhew Cabin is sponsoring an award for the best entry, individual or group, using 19th Century African-American History. An individual pass to the Mayhew Cabin and a book will be awarded.
- Nemaha Valley Museum is sponsoring two $50 cash awards (1 junior division and 1 senior division) "for entries with a connection to Nemaha County or southeast Nebraska"
- The projects will be judged with the following criteria:
- Nemaha County Topic -10 points
- Southeast Nebraska Topic (counties surrounding Nemaha County) - 5 points
- Use of Primary Source Material - 10 points
- Use of Oral History - 10 points
- Use of Nemaha Valley Museum resources - 10 points (this needs to be referenced in the annotated bibliography)
For special awards at the Nebraska state contest check out their website at http://ne.nhd/org/Awards.htm)
For special awards at the National History Day Contest check out the website at www.nationalhistoryday.org
Students can exhibit their research in one of five different modes: paper, performance, documentary, exhibit or website. The performance, documentary or exhibit may be done as a group or an individual entry. Papers are individual entry only. (Websites are both group and individual)
The PSC District Contest is being held February 27, 2015 (Friday) at Peru State College from 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. The top three winners in each entry category from the District contest are eligible for the State contest held at Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln on April 11, 2015.
History Day competition is open to students in grades 6-8 (Junior Division) and grades 9-12 (Senior Division). Each entry needs a teacher sponsor, but does not necessarily have to be part of a class assignment. The entry deadline in February 2, 2015 (Monday) and the fee will remain at $10.00 per person.
- The online registration process has been improved and should be available to you and your students (although the teacher must start the process) starting January 1st. The site will be http://ne.nhd.org If you have any questions please feel free to email or call (402-872-2279).
All the Contest Rule Book information is available upon request or you can access all of the information at www.nationalhistoryday.org
Please contact Dr. Sara B. Crook if you have any questions. The Social Science faculty and Peru State College are looking forward to working with you and your students.