34th ANNUAL HISTORY DAY CONTEST
Peru District History Day
Junior (grades 6-8) & Senior (grades 9-12) Divisions, February 23, 2018
District History Day Assistant Director
Schedule of Events (to be announced early February 2018)
34th Annual Peru District History Day Contest: 4th Grade Division / Junior & Senior Divisions, Friday, Feb. 23, 2018
“Conflict and Compromise in History” – Information Here
Contest Location: Peru State College Campus (Peru, NE)
Entry Fee: $10 per student
Registration Deadline: Friday, February 2, 2018
Historical Papers and web site submission Deadline: Friday, February 9, 2018
Special Awards for Peru State College’s District History Day Contest:
“Tested for Excellence” Awards: For the seventeenth year in a row Peru State College Foundation will award scholarships to all winners in the senior division, in both individual and group contests. The award is a tuition only grant to PSC, and grants may only be used for tuition costs of on-campus classes. The grant may not be used for early entry or online classes.
Peru State College will have once again, special awards that will be presented by local historical groups:
- “We Proceeded On” Special Award: Presented to a Junior level individual entry or group who displayed extraordinary leadership in promoting a cause or idea. The award shall include:
1. A one year pass (to awardee and immediate family) to the Missouri River Basin Lewis & Clark Center in Nebraska City, NE
2. A copy of the book “Undaunted Journey” by Stephen Ambrose
3. A certificate
- “Michelle A Broady Award for Extraordinary Determination” Phi Alpha Theta, PSC’s History Honorary Society, is sponsoring this special award. All sponsoring teachers will be encouraged to nominate one of their History Day competitors for this award no later than 1 week before the contest date to Dr. Crook. The members of PSC’s PAT will review the nominations and make the award presentation.
- The Kregel Windmill Museum in Nebraska City is sponsoring a special award for the best entry on a subject dealing with machinery used in agriculture, past or present.
- Peru Historical Foundation is sponsoring a trophy for the best entry, individual or group, focusing on a historical event/innovation of Nebraska.
- Nebraska City Museum Association is sponsoring an award with individual trophies for the best use of oral history interviews in an individual or group entry.
- The Mayhew Cabin is sponsoring an award for the best entry, individual or group, using 19th Century African-American History. An individual pass to the Mayhew Cabin and a book will be awarded.
- Arbor Lodge is sponsoring an award for best individual entry with a topic on the environment and/or Nebraska. The book, “It Happened in Nebraska” and a one year individual “Explore It All” pass from Arbor Day Farm and Arbor Lodge and Tree Adventure will be awarded to the winner.
- Nemaha Valley Museum is sponsoring two $50 cash awards (1 junior division and 1 senior division) “for entries with a connection to Nemaha County or Southeast Nebraska” . The projects will be judged with the following criteria:
- Nemaha County Topic -10 points
- Southeast Nebraska Topic (counties surrounding Nemaha County) – 5 points
- Use of Primary Source Material – 10 points
- Use of Oral History – 10 points
- Use of Nemaha Valley Museum resources – 10 points (this needs to be referenced in the annotated bibliography)
For special awards at the Nebraska state contest check out their website at
For special awards at the National History Day Contest check out the website at
Students can exhibit their research in one of five different modes: paper, performance, documentary, exhibit or website. The performance, documentary or exhibit may be done as a group or an individual entry. Papers are individual entry only. (Websites are both group and individual)
The Peru State College District Contest is being held Friday, February 23, 2018 at Peru State College from 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. The top three winners in each entry category from the District contest are eligible for the State contest held at Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln on April 7, 2018. The National Contest is being held on June 10-14, 2018.
History Day competition is open to students in grades 6-8 (Junior Division) and grades 9-12 (Senior Division). Each entry needs a teacher sponsor, but does not necessarily have to be part of a class assignment. The entry deadline in February 2, 2018 (Friday) and the fee will remain at $10.00 per person.
•For this year’s contest, online registration will be made available to teachers and students through the PSC website starting January 1, 2018.
Please contact Dr. Justin Pfeifer if you have any questions. The Social Science faculty and Peru State College are looking forward to working with you and your students.