Beginning the Semester
Everything you need to get the semester off to a great start.
- Remember the Academic Affairs Division Meeting at 10:45-noon on Friday, Aug. 18, 2017.
- Peru is in the path of the total eclipse of the sun on the first day of classes. Read about the College’s plan to observe the event.
- Syllabus Template (updated for Fall 2017 to include revised EEO statement)
- Syllabus Headers (.doc)
- Requesting Blackboard shells: Email the Distance Education staff
- Finding your class rosters: Log in to https://mypsc.nebraska.edu
- Completing Correction Rosters (in the third week of the semester)
- BlackBoard Training Material (scroll down partway on the page)
Calendars and Schedules
- Academic Calendar, 2017-18
- Final exams are scheduled the last week of the semester. Coaches of varsity athletic teams do not schedule regular games or events during this week. However, they may enter their teams in NAIA approved play-offs in which the College has declared an intention to participate if qualified. Students who participate in play-off events during finals week are still subject to the attendance policies of their instructors. Faculty may not schedule final exams for individuals or courses at times other than those established in the Finals Week schedule without the express consent of the appropriate Dean.
- Dead Week: For 16 week courses, Dead Week is the week prior to finals week, and no exams are to be given during that week. Exceptions to this policy may be granted only by the appropriate Dean.
Tips for Starting the Semester
- 4 Simple Ways to Help them Persist (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- The Absolute Worst Way to Start the Semester (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Defining the Relationship (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Building Student Engagement: First Classes (Palmer)
- When Will We Talk About the Syllabus? (Curzan, 2017)